Silicone is an awesome material for sex toys. It isn’t toxic like jelly, and won’t crack like cheap plastic. Also, 100% silicone sex toys are often made by small companies which take great care in producing fabulous designs with your pleasure in mind.
But not all silicone is made equal, meaning that the quality of silicone varies. When you’re shopping for a silicone sex toy, make sure to look for 100% medical or Platinum grade silicone.
Because of the increasing demand for silicone toys, combined with the fact that the sex toy industry remains largely unregulated, many novelty sex toy manufacturers label their products as being made of – “silicone” – when they actually only contain a very small amount of silicone. These silicone imposters normally have a detectable odour when you open the packaging and can be slightly transparent. They are also often significantly cheaper than 100% silicone toys. Real silicone is normally opaque (you can’t see through it) and doesn’t smell like anything. And though it is a bit more expensive, it lasts a super long time and won’t leach noxious chemicals into your body.
Here are some more benefits of silicone:
- it warms quickly to body temperature, and retains heat well
- it’s really easy to clean, and can be sterilized in boiling water (5-10 minutes)
- it’s dishwasher safe (top rack!)
- it transmits vibration effectively
- it’s flexible, yet firm
- it comes in different textures, ranging from very rigid to soft and skin-like. For a soft, realistic-feeling toy, check our selection of Vixskin dildos.
- it’s safe, non-porous, and phthalate-free
- the manufacturing process is as clean as the final product
- it comes in a huge variety of fun colours, sizes, and shapes